Awareness Meets Resistance…
I wrote this for one of my clients recently who was facing resistance when initially launching into her journey of self-exploration and awareness. Resistance from one’s self is such a common thing you will be faced with when you embark upon finding your true authentic self, that I figured I would share this with each of you so that it may help you build the momentum to launch your own journey and catapult you to higher heights than you ever thought imaginable!
There is a quote in Steven Pressfield’s book Do the Work that discusses just how common resistance is and how it operates:
“Rule of thumb: The more important a call to action is to our soul’s evolution, the more resistance we will feel toward pursuing it.”
It’s normal in the beginning of the self-exploration journey to face these typical resistance blocks daily that really stop you in your tracks, that leave you feeling helpless, and that prevent you from feeling as if you are overcoming your blocks and moving closer to your ideal you at the pace that you would like. I would hate to see you give up on yourself or the process, when what you are facing is in fact quite normal and it’s merely your lifetimes worth of programming and default settings that are holding you back from your ideal self. Everyone who enters into their own journey to find one’s self experiences this at the beginning, and even throughout the journey, it is completely normal that you will feel this way.
There is a quote by W.H. Murray that talks about the resistance you will face when you are on the journey to greatness and you have not yet given yourself the gift of fully committing to the process:
“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation) there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe’s couplets: ‘Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it’. Begin it now.”
Whoever you work with along the path of your journey it will be in your best interest to commit fully to the process upfront, so that you can give yourself full permission to actually commit to the journey abundantly, be fully engaged to it, and be gentle with yourself as you encounter the typical blocks that come up along the way. The good news is that it does get easier, and 3 months from now you will be able to see the process and benefits much more clearly. The process of reprogramming takes a lot of work, and I am not going to lie, it is hard especially in the beginning. No matter what route you take to make the change you will face resistance from yourself, which is totally normal. Through guidance, time, consistency, and repetition you will overcome these blocks that are in your way.
Here are a few things to ask yourself that might help you to explore what is really going on and where you would like to go –
(Feel free to write these questions down and take some time to explore each one individually, or just take some time to reflect on each one as you read through.)
– What was your original motivation to start this process in the first place?
– Where would you like to be in three months time?
o In 6 months time?
o In 1 Year?
o In 5 Years?
– How do these visions differ than the who that you are today?
– How well is what you are currently doing going to get you there?
– How willing are you to fully commit to the process of getting where you want to be?
– How willing are you to face the blocks full on that are getting in your way of you being the who that you want to be?
– How willing are you to embark on the journey ahead of the consistent attempts and inevitable fails in overcoming your blocks and to be fully committed and engaged anyway?
– What are you willing to sacrifice to become your ideal you?
– How far are you willing to step outside of your comfort zone and default settings to reprogram yourself to be the you that you want to be and leave behind the old programming that no longer serves you?
– Are you willing to fight through your lifetimes worth of current programming in order to come out on the other end to see what is waiting for you there?
– How committed are you?
o To yourself?
o To your development?
o To the process to get there, no matter how hard is may be at times?
o To being gentle with yourself along the way, and trusting that the process takes time, requires consistency and repetition, and is full of attempts and failures,?
At the end of the day the only person that knows what is truly best for you is you. Trust your gut and intuition, and it will guide you to the path that you need to be on.
Sending you vibes of love, health, success, strength, and joy along your path!